National Dump the Pump Day is just two days away but today’s story begins in Maryland in the mid-Atlantic port city of Baltimore, only in 1828, for it was right about then that the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad [...]
On June 20th, National Dump the Pump Day in America will be recognized. The event is being sponsored by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), Natural Resources Defense Council and Sierra Club. This year marks [...]
Population is one of those areas that people should pay attention to. World population: 7-plus billion and growing. There are so many facets related to population, keeping current on all of the particulars is no easy task. [...]
Back on Oct. 23, 2012, Monte Morin in a Los Angeles Times newsstory reporting on the health implications of diesel exhaust, wrote: “A chemical analysis of air samples taken from California’s San Joaquin Valley and [...]
On June 10, 2013 in “Answer to California’s San Onofre nuclear power plant closure could be clean energy,” I made reference to the The Fresno Bee op-ed “San Onofre closure will test state’s power grid,” plus one comment to [...]
California now has less of an energy supply … or does it? I ask because the San Onofre nuclear power plant, located in northwest San Diego County, is no longer producing electricity – it is offline and it [...]
Picking up right where I left off in “Rails versus roads: Infrastructure equality can work wonders,” the use of passenger trains to mitigate harmful emissions can be a very effective means of doing such, provided [...]
Right now I’m thinking about the American Society of Civil Engineers’ (ASCE) 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure. As I see it the “Report Card” is an evaluation instrument used for the purpose of assessing [...]
Remember back on May 1 when I wrote about capacitor energy storage capability in an electric passenger rail application? Described in the “CATS: ‘Contactless,’ energy-storage features give transit an edge,” was the MITRAC system from Bombardier. In this case, it [...]
I hold on to hope that one day cars will be a significant contributor to the overall effort to clean the air – that they’ll be more a part of the solution than what is right [...]
- Cleaning up transportation-sourced air pollution a difficult (and dirty) job January 19, 2013
- Making the connection – Part 3: Public transit: At a loss without it March 25, 2013
- Indoor air pollution far more problematic than previously suspected April 10, 2013
- Two state governors question Northwest’s role in the export of domestic coal March 27, 2013
- CARS: Contaminated-Air-Remediation Strategies December 19, 2012
- ‘Dump the Pump Day’: What I see June 18, 2013
- Eighth annual ‘National Dump the Pump Day’ on June 20th June 17, 2013
- Fifty years of American commuting – 1960-2009: What the numbers say June 15, 2013
- Cleaning the air by lowering diesel’s impact on it June 14, 2013
- Air: It is what it is and what it isn’t is good June 12, 2013
- Fifty years of American commuting – 1960-...: [...] Population is one of those areas that people...
- Fifty years of <b>American</b> commuting – 1960-2009: What the numbers <b>…</b> | Radio Slot Network: [...] Fifty years of <b>American</b> c...
- Sara: With the sales if more economical beneficial cars ...
- For failing cities especially, smart growth has...: [...] Fresno, California has fallen on hard times ...
- Daily Science Links | Nuance NewsNuance News: [...] $64 million question: To exercise or not in ...
- The verdict on tiger-parenting? Studies point to poor mental health
- Surprising turns in magnetic thin films could lead to better data storage
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may increase risk of having child with autism
- Seeing Data: Using visual arts to represent big data
- Noble gases hitch a ride on hydrous minerals
- Herbal extract boosts fruit fly lifespan by nearly 25 percent
- Tackling a framework for surgical innovation
- Aspirin may fight cancer by slowing DNA damage
- IQ link to baby’s weight gain in first month
- Concussion patients show Alzheimer’s-like brain abnormalities